{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

23 April 2017

Blog Gem - Holchester

Yay, it's time to meet another awesome blogger! This month I have the great pleasure of sharing a blogger with you who I'm a big fan of. Not only is her blog an absolute joy to read but she has the most fabulous shop, sews beautiful things and always makes me smile with her photos on Instagram. So, without further ado, lets dive on into the interview!


Hello there, can you tell all of the Adventures & Tea Parties' readers a little bit about yourself?
I’m Rachel, a mum of one, and I’ve been in Bicester, near Oxford, for 5 years now. I’ve always been creative, my degrees in Art History and Art Gallery and Museum Studies led to a career in HR (total accident) but I left that behind me when I had my daughter, Thea. I started by business in November 2015, Handmade by Holchester, and alongside that I’ve now got the blog and my newest venture Holchester Designs. I also run Create! Craft Kits and a monthly local craft night, Make and Meet, with my fab friend and collaborator Emma from Em Makes and Bakes.

I’m a have-a-go-at-anything crafter, but a common theme is fabric and that’s what my blog and business have honed in on. 


Where do you blog? 
I’m very lucky that I’ve got a whole room to myself in our house where I do all my writing, sewing and most other things. It also means I’ve got somewhere to keep projects away from little hands.  It’s got 3 doors and no window of its own, which isn’t great for #wip photography but I can spread out around the house when I need to, so it’s not a problem. The thing I love the most is my inspiration wall. I put up the string and pegs as I couldn’t afford enough cork to cover it all like I wanted, and I just love how much I can change things up with it. And as I’m based at home that means I’ve got the kitchen, with the kettle and the nespresso machine on hand too. 


If you had to take only one tool to a desert island, what would you choose and why?
Sketchbook and pencil/coloured pens. I realise I’m pushing the ‘one tool’ a bit, but they would keep me happy, help me record my thoughts and all the really pretty things I’d see on the island too.  I’m presuming the island already has a kettle……?


How do you get inspired to blog? 
I’m lucky that my blog and business are intertwined, so often one can inspire the other.  Also doing something totally different, like cooking or playing with Thea, usually helps make space for a random thought to spark something else. What actually first made me want to blog is that I felt I had things I wanted to say and share, which weren’t really my husband’s thing and, even though he was very supportive and did listen, I needed an outlet.  Although, my blog now is very different from my first (new-motherhood and using creativity to get my head round it all!) but that sense of wanting to share something that I find exciting is still at the heart of it all. 


What top tips would you give to anyone starting a blog?
Just start and never think that no-one’s reading. Some posts will do better than others and it might feel like the growth is slow but it’ll be found. Also, know what you might want to get from it. With my first blog, which I only had for a short time, the act of writing helped me massively so, regardless of the readership, I was still benefitting. My intentions for Holchester.com are different now but without starting I wouldn’t have got anything from it. 
Is there a story behind the name, 'Holchester'?
Yes, it’s actually quite simple. My parents are a massive inspiration and source of encouragement and I wanted to acknowledge that. The ‘Hol’ comes from Holt, which is my mother’s Maiden name (mine is Heatherington, which was trickier to fit in) and the ‘chester’ comes from my surname, Winchester. I knew I wanted something personal and I was just playing around with sounds and when I said it I immediately liked it. It felt  unique without being unpronounceable! 


If you could go to a Blog Award dinner with any 5 people (dead or alive, real or fictional) who would you choose? 
This is such a tough one. My first nomination would have to be Em Makes and Bakes. She’s my crafty partner in crime, a fellow blogger and a really good friend so she’d have to come along for the adventure and the laughs! 

Kat Molesworth from Blogtacular would be on the list too. Not only would we make sure the music for the after-party was great, but I find her such an inspiration as a self-employed blogging businesswoman and mum.  I went to my first Blogtacular last year and I’m off again in June as I’ve found the community so supportive, helpful, motivating and incredibly knowledgeable too.  

Third on my list would be Es Devlin who’s a theatre and set designer and has worked on wonderful theatre productions, as well as big arena pop-shows (think Beyonce, Kanye and U2). I recently saw a documentary about her (Ep. 3 of Abstract on Netflix) and I am just totally in awe. Her work is so imaginative and immersive and, as well as personally being fascinated by theatre design, I think the way she has built her practice and brand could teach me a lot. 

Next is Marie Perkins, AKA Bowie Style, who runs the blog Print & Pattern. I absolutely love surface pattern design and Marie’s work and her blog are great inspiration and encouragement to someone who’s just about got their confidence together to try and get into that industry.  

And finally, I’d invite Henri Matisse and if he’d like to bring Picasso with him too that would be even better! It might seem like a left-field choice but as a student I was always drawn to his use of colour, especially his Cut-outs, I just find them so mesmerising and powerful.  I could sit in galleries, preferably in Paris, looking at them for hours and I think the stories they could share would be awesome. 


And finally, if you had to choose one song to represent 'Holchester', what would it be and why? 

I absolutely love my music and 99% of time it’s on when I’m working/making. But I’ve also got very eclectic taste so I wasn’t sure what some of my favourites might say about me.

In the end I’ve gone for, ‘I bet you look good on the dancefloor’ by the Arctic Monkeys. I’m not sure it 100% represents everything Holchester but it’s a great track with happy memories, a good beat to encourage dancing and it references the wonderful year that was 1984, the year I was born.  My favourite memory is bouncing up and down and spinning round and round in my wedding dress at our reception to it like a total loon and it’s that sense of fun, energy and carefree attitude that I like to think it stands for! And at the very least, it will give people a funny mental-image and raise a smile, even if it’s at my expense, ha! 




Thank you so much, Rachel! It's been fascinating hearing all about your creative world and your future plans too - surface pattern design, woohoo! Best of luck with it and thanks so much for being a fabulous Blog Gem interviewee!


I hope you've all enjoyed reading about Rachel's wonderful creative and blogging world and are heading over to Holchester right now to read more! And for those of you that want to discover more inspiring bloggers, you can catch up on all my Blog Gem interviews here.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...